Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 5 or 6 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- ½ stick butter or ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/8 cup coconut milk (add more if desired
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Make it sweet: ¼ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp clove, ¼ tsp dried ginger, pinch nutmeg
- Make it savory: 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/2 tsp paprika
- Cut potatoes into cubes.
- Simmer in a large 3-4 quart pot of water with 2 tsp. salt; simmer until potatoes are soft about 15-20 minutes.
- When cooked, drain water and return sweet potatoes to pot and place on burner over low heat.
- Add butter or oil to pot and stir until melted.
- Add coconut milk, salt, pepper, and spices.
- Using a potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes or puree in a food processor.