Roasted Roots & Sausage Soup with Tomatoes & Kale
- 3-4 lbs of mixed root vegetables, peeled and cut into chunks (parsnips, rutabaga, carrots, turnips, golden beets, celery root, sweet potatoes in any combination)
- 2 lbs Italian or andouille sausage, sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 head of garlic, separated & peeled
- 6 tablespoons oil, melted and divided (use butter, ghee, coconut, or lard)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2-4 cups of bone broth (poultry or pork)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 2+ teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a mix of dried oregano, parley, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
In a large roasting pan, mix vegetables, garlic cloves, 3 tablespoons butter/fat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-50 minutes, turning the vegetables over halfway through cooking.
While vegetables roast, heat the remaining butter/fat in a 4-5 quart dutch oven or a large stock pot.
Add onions and sauté until the onions are browned.
Add sausage and brown.
Add the spices, salt, pepper and 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste and stir.
Add diced tomatoes and 2 cups of bone broth.
Bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to cook until root vegetables are finished roasting.
When root vegetables are cooked (easily pierced with a fork), stir them into the pot.
Add kale and more bone broth as needed and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes more (until kale is wilted).
Taste and add spices, salt and pepper as desired.